In the first day of court proceedings
John Broyhill is accused of killing Jamie Hahn, stabbing her 14 times with an 8 inch chef’s knife, over what prosecution attorneys say was over missing money in Congressman Brad Miller’s congressional campaign account.
Opening arguments – Counsel for John Broyhill
- We will not dispute that John was standing over Jamie with a knife;
- John and Nation Hahn had a special relationship;
- Neighbors thought John lived at their (Jamie and Nation Hahn) house;
- You will see that this will not amount to first degree murder.
- “He slit both his wrists and stabbed himself in his stomach—laying on the floor waiting to die.”
First witness called by prosecution is John Wallace—former Treasurer for the Brad Miller congressional campaign. Wallace is also counsel and attorney for the North Carolina Democratic Party. He is considered an election law expert.
Much of mid-morning, the Broyhill defense attorney—on cross examination—grilled John Wallace concerning Brad Miller’s previous campaigns—painting Miller as an experienced politico and winning Democratic candidate. Miller’s successful campaigns have included NC House, NC Senate and Congress—according to testimony this morning. Miller decided not to seek reelection to the U.S House of Representatives back in 2012—Jamie Hahn was killed the following year in 2013.
Court is in recess until 2:30pm.